Sorrento Lemon Pie
430 ml (1¾ cups) flour
2.5 ml (½ tsp) salt
45 ml (3 tbsp) sugar
125 ml (½ cup) cold, unsalted butter, in chunks
30 ml (2 tbsp) cold vegetable shortening, in chunks
Ice water, as required
4 washed lemons, juiced and zest grated
180 ml (¾ cup) sugar
15 ml (1 tbsp) corn starch
4 egg yolks
60 ml (4 tbsp) melted butter
Whipped cream, to taste
- In a food processor, combine the flour, salt and sugar. Add the butter and shortening and pulse on and off about 20 times or until the mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Add 60 ml (¼ cup) ice water and pulse to combine. Continue pulsing on and off until the dough begins to gather in a ball, adding a little more ice water, if necessary. Remove dough, wrap in plastic and refrigerate 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 180°C / 350°F.
- On a floured work surface, roll out dough and press into a 23 cm (9 inch) pie plate with removable bottom. Prick all over with a fork, cover with a sheet of aluminum foil and fill with dried peas or beans.
- Bake on lower rack of oven for 25 minutes. Remove aluminum and peas and set aside to cool.
- In a small saucepan, combine the lemon juice and zest, sugar, corn starch, egg yolks and melted butter. Cook until thick and pour into the cooled pie crust.
- Bake on the lower rack for 20 minutes, remove from oven and cool at room temperature.