Pork Fajitas with Smoky Cherry Salsa
- 1 teaspoon plus a pinch of salt, divided
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Zest of 2 limes
- 6 teaspoons lime juice, divided
- 1 1/4 teaspoons ground chipotle pepper divided
- 1 1/4 pounds pork tenderloin, trimmed
- 1 medium white onion, thickly sliced crosswise
- 1 red or green bell pepper, quartered
- 1 cup chopped pitted sweet or sour fresh cherries
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 cup shredded Manchego or Cheddar cheese
- 8 6-inch corn tortillas, warmed
- Preheat grill to medium-high.
- Mash 1 teaspoon salt and garlic in a small bowl with a mortar and pestle or a spoon until a paste forms. Mix in lime zest, 2 teaspoons lime juice and 1 teaspoon ground chipotle. Rub the paste all over pork.
- Oil the grill rack. Grill the pork, turning occasionally, until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the thickest part reaches 145°F, 13 to 15 minutes. Grill onion and bell pepper, turning occasionally, until charred and tender, 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer the pork to a clean cutting board and let rest for 5 minutes.
- Combine cherries, cilantro, the remaining 4 teaspoons lime juice, the remaining 1/4 teaspoon chipotle and pinch of salt in a bowl. Finely chop one slice of grilled onion and stir into the salsa.
- Thinly slice the remaining onion and pepper. Thinly slice the pork. Serve the pork and vegetables with the salsa and cheese on tortillas.