Earl’s Organic Looks Back at 2016
2016 was a year of changes and growth at Earl’s Organic Produce. Our staff has grown 15% over the year to 91 people and we created 2 brand new positions- Director of Sales and Marketing and a dedicated Food Safety Manager as we continue to focus on serving our customers and staying ahead of the evolving food safety regulations. We have partnered with more growers and fostered new relationships with young farmers—the future of our food system! Each year brings new customers and we value each and every one of you. Thank you for your support in 2016 and we look forward to a prosperous and healthy 2017. Here are a few highlights from the past year.
Emphasis and Growth:
- Earl’s is carrying more fair trade offerings than ever– Equal Exchange avocados, Covilli Mixed Veg and year round Coliman Bananas- now Rainforest Alliance Certified.
- We have expanded our biodynamic apple, pear and berry offerings.
- Our partnership with Hodo Soy continues to grow and we offer a full line of retail and food service organic tofu products.
- We have expanded our equipment fleet in 2016 with the latest in equipment technology by Raymond Material Handling Concepts. New additions include forklifts and walk behind pallet jacks.
Earl’s in the field:
- More farm tours and grower visits– Employees visit Rancho Don Antonio Nipomo, CA, Johnston Family Organics in Woodland, Las Hermanas in Hollister, Ellwood Canyon Farms in Goleta, Coastal View Produce in Gonzales, Central West Produce in Santa Maria, Sanchez Brothers in Carpinteria and Covilli in Guyamas, Mexico!
- An Organic Conversation – Earl’s employees spoke on 8 separate editions of this nationally broadcasted radio show! Download the podcasts.
Building Relationships with Grower Partners:
Ellwood Canyon : Mixed veg- Goleta, CA
Spade and Plow: Artichokes and nantes carrots- San Martin, CA
Johnston Family Farm: Winter squash- Woodland, CA
Rancho Don Antonio: California blueberries, berries- Nipomo,CA
Peri & Sons: Onions Yerington, NV and El Centro, CA
Progressive Produce: Russet Potatoes- Edison, CA
New Items in 2016:
I love Pom: Pomegranate Arils- Reedley, CA
Maristone: Herbs– Watsonville, CA
Natural Trading Company: Sprouts and Wheatgrass- Newcastle,CA
Mt. Hood: Biodynamic apples and pears-Mt. Hood, Oregon
Greenbelle: Biodynamic blueberries-Chile
Twin Girls: Jujubes- Reedley, CA
Rainbow Valley Orchards: Variegated pink lemons- Rainbow, CA
Super Fresh: Autumn Glory Apples- Yakima, WA(with hints of cinnamon and subtle notes of caramel)
Earl’s in the News:
- Earl’s Organic Focuses On Food Safety-The Packer.
- Earl Herrick is interviewed live by “Your Produce Man” on Good Day Sacramento.
- Earl’s was first wholesale produce distributor to become a San Francisco Certified Green Business.
- Earl’s Organic Produce is the FIRST business to sign up for SuperGreen and is now officially powered by 100% renewable energy. Watch the video!
Earl’s Employee Happenings
- Earl’s crew sampled seasonal produce at the Academy of Sciences Nightlife 21+ events.
- Earl’s celebrates our second year partnering with America Scores, a local organization with a mission to promote good health. Volunteers from Earl’s engaged with community members in our backyard and spread our love of wholesome organic food by handing out organic fruit to kids and their families at local soccer games.
- Earl’s Employees showed off their talents at the annual guacamole and pumpkin carving contests.
- Earl’s gives away awesome organic turkeys(and vegan options) with the fixings to all employees for Thanksgiving.
- Earl’s brings the largest group yet of employees down to the 36th annual EcoFarm conference, the largest annual organic agricultural gathering on the west coast. We hope to see a bunch of you at EcoFarm in 2017.
Happy New Year from all of us at Earl’s Organic Produce!!