Archive for February, 2017
Beautiful bunched red organic beets from Ellwood Canyon Farms. Don’t throw away the green tops. Chop and saute with a little olive oil and garlic and served with sliced warm beets topped with crumbled feta.
Earl’s Organic Produce, Inc., a leading distributor of organic produce throughout Northern California, seeks a skilled and safe Outbound PM Warehouse Support for our San Francisco Wholesale Produce Market headquarters.
Under the direction of the Outbound Operations Manager, the Product Selector fills customers’ orders from stored merchandise in accordance with specifications on sales slips or order forms. Duties include completing order receipts, keeping records of out-going orders, requisitioning additional materials, supplies, cleaning work area and equipment.
Responsibilities will include:
- Read orders to ascertain quantities of merchandise
- Obtain merchandise from bins, shelves, and coolers
- Check order receipts
- Examine products to verify quality standards
- Count finished products to determine if product orders are complete
- Keep records of out-going orders
- Place merchandise on conveyors leading to wrapping areas
- Wrap the palletized merchandise
- Mark or tag identification on palletized merchandise
- Operate machinery used in the process, or assist machine operators
- Observe equipment operations so that malfunctions can be detected, and notify Management as necessary
Position requirements include:
- Forklift, End-Rider pallet jack, and electric pallet jack experience is required
- Ability to read and understand information presented in writing
- Ability to arrange things in a certain order or pattern according to a specific rule or set of rules
- Ability to lift a minimum of 50 lbs. on a regular basis
- Requires being reliable, responsible, dependable, and fulfilling obligations
- Requires being careful about detail and thorough in completing work tasks
- Requires being pleasant with others on the job and displaying a good-nature
- Requires supporting other team members and provide service to others
- Requires knowledge of conducting inspections of products
This position requires four (4) ten hour shifts, 4pm-2am, Sunday through Friday.
Earl’s Organic Produce provides a highly competitive compensation package, including medical, dental, vision, LTD and voluntary life, plus a company-sponsored retirement program.
Earl’s Organic Produce works to embrace diversity in all its forms; it strives to be an inclusive community that fosters an open, enlightened and productive environment.
Interested candidates are encouraged to submit a cover letter, resume, and three references via email to HR@earlsorganic.com or come directly to:
Earls Organic Produce
2101 Jerrold Ave.
San Francisco, CA 94124
Celery root, also known as celeriac, has a knobby hairy appearance, but don’t be intimidated. It can be eaten raw or cooked and has a refreshing flavor similar to celery and parsley. First trim off the top and bottom of the celery root so it is stable on your cutting board. Continue to cut around the rest of the root until all of the peel is gone. Now you can shred it and add it to a salad, cut it into cubes and add to soups or stews or toss the cut pieces with olive oil, salt and pepper and roast them. If you are lucky enough to buy celery root with the green tops they are delicious added to soups and stocks. Celery root pictured is grown by Jack Motter and Jeff Kramer of Ellwood Canyon Farms in Goleta, California, 10 minutes north of Santa Barbara.